Description: |
THE ALUMNI DIRECTORY xvlibrary and the expanding Science departments. In 1910 the schooldedicated its magnificient new Library on Eagle street which is thepermanent home of the Library now numbering over 100,000 volumes.With the growing importance of the industrial work in the schoolsof the State, a large modern building was erected and thoroughlyequipped to carry forward the work in the industrial arts.In 1917 the new Science Hall was completed containing the divisions of botany, zoology, physiology, agriculture, geography and geology, physics, and chemistry.In 1924 the school dedicated its new large Residence Hall forwomen. This Hall has sufficient space to accommodate about 100 youngwomen. The first floor of the Residence Hall contains a large diningroom so that the young women may take their meals also in ResidenceHall. A second womens Residence Hall of equal size was completed in1929.In addition to these six large building constructed directly foreducational work, the school has remodeled a large commodious residence on Eagle street, which serves as a Student Building. This buildingis headquarters for much of the social life of the student body. Aresidence on Eagle street has been fitted up as a Practice House for thestudents in the department of Home Economics where advanced students in this department may live for a certain period of time andbecome familiar in a practical way with the problems incidental tohouse planning and house management.In order to make the work in agriculture and botany as concreteand practical as possible the school own and maintains a small farmsituated near Allyndale, about five miles south of the city. This tractof land is not only a farm but in a certain sense also a biological reservation where students in nature study and botany may become acquainted at first hand with plants growing in an undisturbed environment.It is the aim of the Department of Science to plant on this reservationall the trees and shrubs as well as the higher cryptograms which areindigenous to Indiana.In March, 1928, the Teachers College dedicated its new $160,000gymnasium. The construction was made possible by the appropriationof $150,000 by the General Assembly of Indiana, while the city of TerreHaute made an appropriation of $30,000 for the site on which the gymnasium stands. This new Physical Education Building is modern inevery way and splendidly arranged for the purposes for which it isintended. In addition to classrooms, storerooms, and locker rooms, ithas two athletic floors. The main athletic floor is of ample proportionsfor all the indoor sports of the school and its concrete bleachers willaccommodate, when filled, practically 3,000 spectators. The north sideof this main room has a large stage which makes it possible to use thisathletic floor for the general convocations of the school.The school also owns a number of tennis courts adjoining the gymnasium and an athletic field known as Parsons Feld situated on NorthFirst street.The Indiana State Teachers College is fortunately able to enjoy theadvantages offered by the new municipal stadium which the city ofTerre Haute recently completed at the cost of almost a half million |
---|---|
Source: |
http://indstate.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/isuarchive/id/38156 |
Collection: |
Indiana State University Archives |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.