Tippecanoe Battle Ground, the trees where Daviess fell, Nov. 7th-1811

Trees where Daviess fell

Description: Tippecanoe Battle Ground. The Trees where Daviess Fell. Nov. 7th-1811. (title from verso of last page, written in pencil) AMs, 4 p. (3 sheets; written in pencil)
In 1840, George Winter toured the Battle Ground with Joseph Barron, and then spent a week sketching and fully exploring the site. The trees that stood where Daviess fell have since been cut down, and much of their wood was used in fencing the swampy prairie into which Daviess troops had attempted to draw the Indians. This prairie lies southeast of the battleground, before Hiram Shaws house, in a line with Prophets Town, which since 1822 had been owned by John Shaw and his son Solomon. G.W. obtained from Shaw a rail from the fence made of those trees, and is sending half of that piece to the recipient of this letter, who owns a painting by G.W. of that site. Quotation from a poem in Daviess honor recited by William Wallace at the anniversary celebrations of Nov. 7, 1835. G.W. sketched the graves Oct. 9, 1840; description of the fence around them at that time.
Created By: Winter, George, 1810-1876;
Publisher: Tippecanoe County Historical Association
Source: http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/ref/collection/gwinter/id/744
Collection: George Winter
Copyright: Images in the George Winter Collection should not be used without written permission from the Tippecanoe County Historical Association. To obtain reproduction rights and prices, contact the Tippecanoe County Historical Association at info@tippecanoehistory.org
Subjects: Tippecanoe Battlefield (Battle Ground, Ind.)
Daviess, Joseph H.
Trees
Graves
Fences

Further information on this record can be found at its source.