Description: |
There are advertising signs in the window for Honest Scrap, Funk & Miller District Sales Agents in the Second National Bank Building in Richmond, Eatmore, Polar Bear tobacco, U-Kno Chocolates, Tuxedo Tobacco, and Grovess Baltimore Oysters. The man smoking a cigar in front of the building to the right appears to wear a barbers jacket. Based on the shadows, the restaurant was on the north side of Main Street.According to the Hagerstown Exponent, James William Bagford (1863-1945) opened Bagfords Restaurant in the Presbaugh room owned by Mary Presbaugh on North Main Street in Hagerstown on October 13, 1906 [October 11, 1906, p. 3]. As well as serving meals, the restaurant also sold oysters, nuts, dates, fruit, candy and chocolate, ice cream, soda and fountain Coca-Cola, postal cards, and Valentine cards. The restaurant last advertised in April 1916 with meals for 25 cents and boarding at $4.00 per week. The business closed by November 1916 since paper mentioned the room vacated by Bagfords restaurant. James owned the Vaudette Theatre in Hagerstown for a short time. James and his wife Sarah Frances Frankie (Main) Bagford (1862-1932) moved to Richmond, Indiana by 1918.[The location is misidentified on the back of the card as Richmond.] |
---|---|
Origin: | 1910, circa |
Source: |
http://indianaalbum.pastperfectonline.com/photo/BEE26F8D-922E-4551-B494-461151627250 |
Collection: |
Indiana Album |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/ |
Geography: |
Main Street, Hagerstown, Wayne County, Indiana, United States |
Subjects: |
Patrick Walter Collection Restaurants Storefronts Restaurant workers Hagerstown (Ind.) Wayne County (Ind.) |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.