East Tenth Street Methodist Community House demolition, Indianapolis, Indiana, 1939

Description: The handwritten message on the photo reads The East 10th Methodist Community house, long used by Everson class. Picture as building was being torn down Aug. 1939 and Northwest corner Keystone and 10th. The sign reads Building Wrecked by Cleveland Wrecking Company / 1320 Kentucky Ave. / Used Building Material for Sale Cheap.The frame church was built in 1894 as the Nippert Memorial M. E. Church, named for Dr. Louis Nippert, the citys first missionary of the German Methodist Episcopal denomination. The congregation voted in 1920 to merge with the New Jersey Street M. E. Church. In 1922, the East Tenth Street Methodist Church, located across the street, purchased and remodeled the old church to become their community house, adding a gymnasium to the rear. [Sources: Indianapolis Journal, 24 September 1894, p. 8; Indianapolis Star, 27 June 1923, p. 12]
Origin: 1939-08
Source: http://indianaalbum.pastperfectonline.com/photo/B7DB8046-AEC4-45EF-856F-682333604901
Collection: Indiana Album
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/
Geography: 2340 East 10th Street, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States
Subjects: Joan Hostetler Collection
Community centers
Methodist Episcopal churches
Demolition
Indianapolis (Ind.)
Marion County (Ind.)

Further information on this record can be found at its source.