Description: |
Once called the Central Schools, this brick building was constructed in 1898 and housed both elementary and high school students. In 1915 the building to the left was constructed and high school classes were moved into it. At some point, the two school buildings were joined with a multi-story connection seen here. In 1944 the complex was named for local native Wendell Willkie and the archways above both buildings were reengraved with the Willkie name. The complex was damaged beyond repair by a fire in 1988 and everything demolished, with the exception of the 1915 arch that remained in place and the 1898 arch that was moved to the current Elwood Junior-Seniior High School site at 1137 North 19th Street. The Elwood Public Library and the Elwood Branch YMCA occupy the site of this complex in 2021. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1965, circa |
Created By: |
Wetzel, Paul W., 1907-2000 |
Source: |
http://indianaalbum.pastperfectonline.com/photo/A62B972A-C391-47DE-B838-393406526247 |
Collection: |
Indiana Album |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/ |
Geography: |
1620 Main Street, Elwood, Madison County, Indiana, United States 40.277476,-85.838816 |
Subjects: |
Paul W. Wetzel Collection Schools Princeton (Ind.) Gibson County (Ind.) |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.