Enlargement of gymnasium at St. Josephs College, Rensselaer, Indiana, circa 1913

Description: In the fall and winter of 1913-1914, the St. Joseph College gymnasium, constructed in 1904, was raised 12 feet to make space for bowling alleys and gym equipment under the basketball court. Stacked around and under the structure are wooden beams (cribs, cribbing, or box cribs), used to support the building as it was lifted with jacks. Science laboratories were added to the west of the building and the building also housed the music department and an auditorium. Near the completion of the project, managed by contractor Frank Medland, the structure was destroyed by fire on April 2, 1914. [Source: The Brook Reporter (Brook, Indiana), April 10, 1914, p. 7]
Origin: 1913, circa
Source: http://indianaalbum.pastperfectonline.com/photo/98E0FEAD-D3E0-425F-923C-913055204330
Collection: Indiana Album
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/
Geography: Rensselaer, Jasper County, Indiana, United States
Subjects: Gymnasiums
Moving of structures
Construction
Universities & colleges
Rensselaer (Ind.)
Jasper County (Ind.)

Further information on this record can be found at its source.