Description: |
The country home of John Hampton Holliday and Evaline (Rieman) Holliday. In 1892, they bought John Bradleys farm on Spring Mill ROad. They built this 23-room frame house with porches overlooking the White River and named it Reka Dom, Russian for house by the river. The family lived there for five months each year. In 1916, Holliday, a civic leader, philanthropist, and founder of the Indianapolis News, and his wife donated their 80-acre country estate to the city and it became part of the city park system in 1932. The house was used as a library and educational building until it was destroyed by a fire in 1955. (Source: Holliday Park History by INdy Parks and Friends of Holliday Park and newspaper articles). |
---|---|
Origin: | 1915, circa |
Source: |
http://indianaalbum.pastperfectonline.com/photo/8179F984-E372-438D-B319-734135650719 |
Collection: |
Indiana Album |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/ |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States |
Subjects: |
Deedee Davis / Indianapolis Photo Album Houses Trees Indianapolis (Ind.) Marion County (Ind.) |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.