Script beneath image reads, "The Winona, Winona Lake, Ind."
An early view of the Winona Hotel. The Entrance Building is on the left and the photographer is probably standing along the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks when this image was taken.The Winona Hotel began life as the Eagle Lake Hotel. The original name of Winona Lake (the body of water) was Eagle Lake, and original name for the town was Spring Fountain Park. The structure was originally built in 1887 and was designed by Washington Vanator. It appears that the building was enlarged in 1904, 1906 and finally in 1910. The original structure had 50 rooms when it opened in May of 1888, and after all of the additions there were 105 rooms. It is 3 ½ stories high and topped with an observation room. At one time it was heated with steam from the Winona Railway power plant. The building materials were delivered via the nearby Pennsylvania Railroad. It was considered to the finest hotel in Winona Lake because of its location next to the lake. Grace College used the building as a dormitory from the 1970’s thru the 1990’s. It has been converted to condominiums and is located on Park Ave.
E. C. Kropp Co., Milwaukee
Grace College - Winona Lake Postcards
Contact Morgan Library, Winona Lake, IN for copy and usage permissions
Winona Lake (Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.