Description: |
Front: Script at top of postcard reads, Kosciusko Lodge, Winona Lake, Ind.Back: Body of message reads, Hello - Having one big time. Carrie. Addressed to, Mrs. Lizzie Faunce, W. Canal, Peru, Ind. KL looking south from the area of Camp Bethany.Kosciusko Lodge was originally built (ca 1900) as a hotel, under the direction of J. Wilbur Chapman. One source said the KL was intended to provide free or low cost housing for ministers attending the Chautauqua and Bible Conference. It was also available for paying customers. Its distant location from the venues of the Winona Assembly did not make it popular. It was located at the south end of Park Ave. across Cherry Creek. As early as 1908 the focus of the KL changed from a hotel to that of being a key building in a new Presbyterian summer camp. . Billy and Ma Sunday had apparently acquired the property, possibly to provide cash to the Winona Assembly at an earlier date. They gifted property in 1908 and in 1926 they deeded Kosciusko Lodge to the Indiana Synod of the Presbyterian Church. KL was described as having 58 guest rooms, a dining room, a wide front porch, a second floor deck and a 300 seat chapel. Camp Kosciusko operated from 1908 until the 1960’s. The deteriorating facilities and the construction of another camp in southern Indiana brought about the end of Camp Kosciusko. The camp’s former medical center and several counselor cabins have been turned into private residences. The lake front lots were sold to individuals. A portion of the camp’s land was sold to the adjacent Chicago Boys Club. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1910-08-17 |
Created By: |
J. B. Watson, Warsaw, Ind. (Printed in Germany.) |
Source: |
http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15705coll8/id/476 |
Collection: |
Grace College - Winona Lake Postcards |
Copyright: |
Contact Morgan Library, Winona Lake, IN for copy and usage permissions |
Geography: |
Winona Lake (Ind.) |
Subjects: |
Kosciusko Lodge |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.