Description: |
Front: Script at bottom of postcard reads, The Inn, Winona Lake, Ind.Back: Winona Ind. 8/6 -14 Body of message reads, At the above, having fine time, Come over. Resp Mrs. R. & K. Mumma. Addressed to, Mrs. Prof Ptak, Payne, O. The Inn Hotel was a favorite of the economy minded traveler to Winona. It had a good location and fair prices.The Inn Hotel is an interesting building. The exact details are missing, but it appears that in 1897 the resourceful Winona folks rebuilt a horse barn using lumber, from poultry and livestock exhibition buildings, to construct a hotel of 230-250 rooms. The Inn was located on Park Ave. about a half block from the Auditorium. It was first named “The Barracks”. It was the low cost Winona Assembly owned hotel. The rooms were spartan. Restrooms were at the end of each hallway. There was a large lobby and a large social space above the lobby on the second level. The center wing was winterized in the early 1960’s and was used as a dormitory by Grace College. The building was worn out. The Winona Lake Fired Department conducted a controlled burn of the structure on August 21, 1971. Today a parking lot and a row of businesses stand where the Inn Hotel once stood. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1914-08-06 |
Created By: |
J. B. Watson, Warsaw, Ind. (Printed in Germany.) |
Source: |
http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15705coll8/id/449 |
Collection: |
Grace College - Winona Lake Postcards |
Copyright: |
Contact Morgan Library, Winona Lake, IN for copy and usage permissions |
Geography: |
Winona Lake (Ind.) |
Subjects: |
The Inn |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.