Description: |
rB*1R AHistory of Unionville SchoolIn 1906 a small frame building with a belfry was built to replacethe original two-story log schoolhouse. Students who wanted toattend high school had to go to Bloomington.During the year 1916 a movement to build a high school started, buinothing was built until 1921 when the first red brick section wasconstructed. The high school opened with 24 students.The gym was in the basement of this building and early proved to beinadequate. In 1924 the people of the community contributed theirtime, labor, and money to build a community gymnasium. As theyears went by, various additions were made to this wooden structure.A separate concrete block building housed the cafeteria.The next addition was built in 1938 when four roomswere added to the high school. This was the end ofthe expansion until 1959 when six elementary rooms,a new cafeteria, and indoor rest rooms were added.A small lake was constructed behind the school foran adequate water supply for the increased plumbingneeds.Three years later the present gym, science room,shop, offices, and stage area were completed. Before long it was necessary to add more elementaryclassrooms to handle the increased enrollment. In1968 this ten room addition was completed.18 |
---|---|
Source: |
http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-unionville/id/1559 |
Collection: |
Unionville High School |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.