Stinesville High School, Quarrian, 1955, Page 3

Description: History Of The SchoolBean Blossoms first four schools were log buildings. The first in 1828, in a vacatedresidence of the Putnam locality, north of Mt. Tabor, was taught by a Mr. Taylor. Thesecond, between 1832 and 1836, was in the VanBuskirk and Gentry vicinities, about onemile south of Stinesville.In 1903, a new school was built about one-eighth of a mile north of the old one. Thisbuilding was of rough stone, two-stories high and contained four rooms. This was an advancement, but still only three years of high school could be obtained.In 1927, the number of rooms was increased. A gymnasium, an assembly, three classrooms,and an office were added to the building, making a total of fifteen rooms.On March 14, 1935, about 9:30 p.m., the school building burned to the ground. In threedays school was resumed in empty store buildings. With a lot of hard work and management,the students of Stinesville High School met for the first time in the new building on September9, 1937; the gym was completed in the fall of 1938. The new building and gym were dedicatedon November 4, 1938.In 1941, the Hot Lunch Program was started by Ralph Young and Hazel Minick, and wassponsored by the P. T. A.In 1953, a fine big stage was added to the east side of the gym. It was a real improvementand furnished a place for the events that took place in the school.In the summer of 1954, six acres just east of the school plant were purchased to furnish recreational facilities. The land was leveled for abaseball diamond and playground space.In the summer of 1955, the Centennial celebration, Stinesvilles Hundredth Birthday, washeld on the baseball diamond.
Source: http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-stinesvill/id/656
Collection: Stinesville High School

Further information on this record can be found at its source.