Stinesville High School, Quarrian, 1956, Page 3

Description: HISTORY OF THE SCHOOLBean Blossoms first four schools were log buildings. The first in 1828, in a vacated residence of thePutnam locality, north of Mt. Tabor, was taught by a Mr. Taylor. The second, between 1832 and1836, was in the Van Buskirk and Gentry vicinities, about one mile south of Stinesville.In 1903, a new school was built about one-eighth of a mile north of the old one. This building wasof rough stone, two stories high and contained four rooms. This was an advancement, but still onlythree years of high school could be obtained.In 1928, the number of rooms was increased. A gymnasium, an assembly, three classrooms, and anoffice were added to the building, making a total of 15 rooms.On March 14, 1935, about 9:30 p.m., the school building burned to the ground. In three daysschool was resumed in empty store buildings. With a lot of hard work and management, the students ofStinesville High School met for the first time in the new building on September 9, 1937; the gym wascompleted in the fall of 1938. The new building and gym were dedicated on November 4, 1938.In 1941, the hot lunch program was started by Ralph Ynung and Hazel Minick, and was sponsored bythe P. T. A.In 1953, a fine big stage was added to the east side of the gym. It was a real improvement and furnished a place for the events that took place in the school.In the summer of 1954, six acres just east of the school plant were purchased to furnish recreationalfacilities. The land was leveled for a baseball diamond and playground space.In the summer of 1955, the Centennial Celebration, Stinevilles one hundreth birthday, was held onthe baseball diamond.
Source: http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-stinesvill/id/334
Collection: Stinesville High School

Further information on this record can be found at its source.