Stinesville High School, Quarrian, 1954, Page 3

Description: —=FHistory of the SchoolBean Blossoms first four schools k/ere log buildings. The first, in 1828, in a vacated residence of the Putnam locality, north of Mt. Tabor, was taught by a Mr. Taylor. The second,between 1832 and 1836, was in the VanBuskirk and Gentry vicinities, about one mile southof Stinesville.In 1903, a new school was built about one-eighth of a mile north of the old one. Thisbuilding was of rough stone, two-stories high and contained four rooms. This was an advancement, but still only three years of high school could be obtained.In 1927, the number of rooms was increased. A gymnasium, an assembly, three classrooms, and an office were added to the building, making a total of fifteen rooms.On March 14, 1934, about 9:30 p.m., the school building burned to the ground. Inthree days, school was resumed in empty store buildings. With a lot of hard work and management, the students of Stinesville High School met for the first time in the new building onSeptember 9, 1937; the gym was completed in the fall of 1938. The new building and gym werededicated on November 4, 1938.In 1941, the Hot Lunch Program was started by Ralph Young and Hazel Minick, and wassponsored by the P. T. A.In 1953, a fine big stage was added to the east side of the gym. It was a real improvement, and furnished a place for the events that took place in the school._
Source: http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-stinesvill/id/111
Collection: Stinesville High School

Further information on this record can be found at its source.