Ellettsville High School, Llamarada, 1940, Page 5

Description: LLAMARADAHistory of Ellettsville High SchoolWhen the small town of Ellettsville was first founded, people of the community readily began to think of the future education of their children. It allstarted when, in 1822, the first school building was erected on the site of C. H.McNeelys home. At this time the term of school was only three months, withMr. Rawlins as teacher. In 1855 a frame building of two rooms, which is stillstanding, was erected and used for almost twenty years. In 1872 a large brickbuilding was erected where the telephone exchange is now located.In 1915 the consolidated school system was established in Indiana and astone building was erected. In 1925-1926 a new section was added to the oldbuilding. This part was a gym, assembly, four classrooms and an office. Thenew gym, which improved our building very much, was dedicated in 1936.The faculty now consists of seventeen members. Some of the coursesgiven in the high school are Business, Vocational, and Academic. Through theco-operation of Mr. Ryan and Mr. Stewart, this year has been a very successfulone and something has been built up in the school which cannot be easily erased.The graduating class of 1940 hopes that the success of the school will continueand that the co-operation of the community, pupils, and the teachers will helpit to do so.Page FiveL
Source: http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-ellettsvil/id/420
Collection: Ellettsville High School

Further information on this record can be found at its source.