Ellettsville High School, Llamarada, 1939, Page 5

Description: LLAMARADAHISTORY OF ELLETTSVILLE HIGH SCHOOLSince the founding of the town of Ellettsville, education facilitieshave not been neglected. In 1822 the first school building in RichlandTownship stood on the site of C. H. McNeelys home. William Rawlins was the first teacher, and the term extended only three months.An early log school stood just behind W. B. Harriss Printing office.In 1855 a frame building of two rooms, which is still standing, waserected and was used for almost twenty years. In 1872 a large brick,building was erected on Temperance Street where the home of W.B. Harris, Jr., stands; however, it wasnt large enough to accommodate the primary department, which was housed in the small brickbuilding where the telephone exchange is now located.In 1915, the Consolidated School System was established in Indiana and a stone structure was erected at Ellettsville. In 1924 thebuilding became too small to hold all the pupils that were coming toEllettsville, and in 1925-1926 a new section was added to the oldbuilding. The part consisted of a gym, assembly, four classrooms andan office. The new gym was first occupied in 1936.The school now has a faculty of seventeen; seven in the first sixgrades and ten in the upper six grades. Some of the courses given inthe high school are Business, Vocational, and Academic. Under theleadership of Principal C. E. Stewart and the co-operation of our newtrustee, Carl F. Ryan, the school year has been more than successfuland has a record which cannot be erased. It is the wish of the classof 1939, that the school shall continue to grow and prosper with thecoming years.Five
Source: http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-ellettsvil/id/272
Collection: Ellettsville High School

Further information on this record can be found at its source.