Ellettsville High School, Llamarada, 1955, Page 2

Description: Seventy tyeaM j4y& rfttctThe first frame Ellettsville schoolbuilding is one hundred years old. Thisschool, built in 1855, had two roomsand was used for almost twenty years;today it is the Kenneth Jackson home.The next school was erected in 1872.It was a large brick building and it costseven thousand dollars. Five teacherstaught in the school located on Temperance Street. This building was not largeenough to accommodate both the highschool and the grade students; so theprimary children attended school in thebrick building which is now the telephoneexchange.The brick schoolhouse was abandonedin 1915 when the present school waserected in the south part of town. In 1925a stone addition, including a combinationgymnasium and auditorium, was built toaccommodate more students, and in 1935the stone gymnasium adjacent to theschool was erected.As school buildings have changed, sohave methods of education. At the turnof the centruy school children did theirsums on slates and sang their multiplication tables. Their desks and seats werealmost twice as large as the ones todayand each student had a seat mate. Sometimes children went all the way throughschool with the same seat mate. Students studied their reading lessons fromMcGuffey Readers. These stories allhad a moral, and they were written toimprove the childs character as well ashis reading ability.<*«*»«
Source: http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-ellettsvil/id/1305
Collection: Ellettsville High School

Further information on this record can be found at its source.