On the ferry boat crossing the Columbia River [The ferry on the Columbia River was the steel Kalama (later renamed Tacoma). According to Wikipedia, it "transported trains between Kalama, Washington and Goble, Oregon. This train ferry was shipped in more than 50,000 parts around Cape Horn and assembled in Portland. This Northern Pacific Railroad ferry was 338 feet (103 m) long and 42 feet (13 m) wide and continued in use from 1883 until around 1910 when a railroad bridge across the river was built." (Corning, Howard M. Dictionary of Oregon History, Binfords & Mort Publishing, 1956.) The N.P.R. logo can be seen on the engine in the photograph.]
Brooks, Earl, 1883-1968
Hamilton County History
Copyright Hamilton East Public Library. Copyright permissions granted for educational use by Hamilton East Public Library.
Further information on this record can be found at its source.