Abner Luce House [Rutledge House], 18 E. Jennings St., Newburgh

Description: The building was built in 3 sections, the first being the east wing in the 1830s. In 1851, Minerva Pettit purchased the house and in the mid 1850s, added on to it greatly. During the Civil War, the house was purchased by Daniel F. Bates and he used it as a command center for the Warrick Legion and also a hospital for the wounded. Next, Daniel Frame owned the building and founded the first Methodist Church in the house. Dr. Slaughter purchased the house for his daughter, Lillie and her husband, Andrew J. Ruthledge in 1898. In 1945, the house was purchased by Mrs. F. Lyle Summers. She remodeled the house and added the entrance portico. In 1965, Mr. and Mrs. Clay Gudgel purchased the house. -SHAARD
Yes
Created By: H. Roll McLaughlin
Source: http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p17312coll4/id/2413
Collection: Indiana Landmarks H. Roll McLaughlin Collection
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-EDU/1.0/
Copyright: Copyright Indiana Landmarks. Copyright permissions granted for educational use by Indiana Landmarks
Geography: Newburgh Historic District
Newburgh
Warrick
Indiana
37.9443948,-87.4043898
Subjects: Built Environment
Historic buildings -- Indiana
Architecture -- Indiana
single-family dwelling
Federal
Greek Revival

Further information on this record can be found at its source.