Description: |
1150 North A St., Dickinson Log Cabin, Richmond, Indiana, c. 1974, located on the grounds of the Wayne County Museum, built in 1823 by Solomon W. Dickinson who moved from the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with his wife Hannah W. Antrim (married 1811). Solomon W. Dickinson was a tinsmith, and had patented a new cooking stove in 1835. The Dickinson Log Cabin was one of the first homes built in newly established Richmond, IN. The cabin was a singular second-story space until expanded on after the Civil War. Previously located somewhere south of North A St. in a block betweeen Fort Wayne Avenue and North Third St. The Dickinson Log Cabin was discovered in 1967, and relocated by Oberle-Jorde Co. onto the Wayne County Museum grounds. The cabin had been fully furnished and restored by the Dickinson Family and community. Later, another restoration project commenced to replace decaying/weak wood in 1990 and finished by June of 2006. Restoration done by Amos b. Schwartz Construction Co. of Geneva, Indiana. -waynet.org/ Yes |
---|---|
Created By: |
H. Roll McLaughlin |
Source: |
http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p17312coll4/id/2308 |
Collection: |
Indiana Landmarks H. Roll McLaughlin Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-EDU/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
Copyright Indiana Landmarks. Copyright permissions granted for educational use by Indiana Landmarks |
Geography: |
Starr Historic District Richmond Wayne Indiana 39.8305849,-84.8868949 |
Subjects: |
Built Environment Historic buildings--Indiana Architecture--Indiana single-family dwelling single-pen houses |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.