Description: |
1887 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/369 <br>1898 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/495 <br>1915 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/1959 <br>Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission https://tinyurl.com/h38c2pe7 <br> 530-534 East Michigan Street Indianapolis Indiana Marion Center Lockerbie Square Historic District The two-story frame house enveloped by the concrete block commercial building may date back to the 1860s. Sophia Begly owned the property from 1864 until 1865 and is listed as living here in 1865 in the Hawes City Directory of that year. The 1866 Sanborn map shows the house to be a two-story frame house occupying most of the narrow half lot. Today little of the residential character is exposed except for the second-story and gable roof. The walls are covered with asbestos siding, but the decorative vertical siding of the gable above the two windows remain exposed. The character of the building today is commercial. It appears as though the Royal Products Company, which occupied the building to the east (534 E. Michigan) since 1930, expanded to the two-story house at 532 around 1950, and demolished 534. Sometime after 1956 the frame double to the west was demolished to make way for the expansion of the western concrete block wing. |
---|---|
Origin: | c. 1968 |
Created By: |
Indiana Landmarks |
Contributor(s): |
Funding provided by an Institute of Museum and Library Services grant, administered by the Indiana State Library |
Source: |
http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/IHAS/id/7029 |
Collection: |
Indiana Landmarks Historic Architecture Collection |
Rights: | https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ |
Copyright: |
Any copies made from materials in the Indiana Landmarks Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indiana Landmarks, 800-450-4534. |
Subjects: |
DETERIORATION HISTORIC DISTRICTS HOUSES NEIGHBORHOODS |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.