Description: |
Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission: tinyurl.com/3tx9p3ut <br> 1887 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/369 <br> 1898 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/486 <br> 1915 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/2019 621 Lockerbie Street Indianapolis Indiana Marion Center Lockerbie Square Historic District The Webber’s purchased the lot and are first listed in the City Directory as occupants in the year 1873. George H. Webber was a blacksmith for the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Indianapolis Railroad shops. Emma Webber was listed as a clerk in 1874, and Frank and Charles were firemen for the C.H.& I. R.R. in 1876. The house was probably built between 1867 and 1873 by Amos Krewson. It appears that Krewson built this house as a rental property as well as its neighbor to the west at 619. The house was recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1970 and 1971. The frame house is two stories in height with a gable and hip roof. Three decorative brackets are located in the front gable, and exposed rafter ends are decoratively sawn. The present character of the house dates from around 1905. Between 1898 and 1915 a major remodeling campaign resulted in the addition of the hipped roof addition, the classical L plan verandah, and the addition of a large three-part front window which probably replaced two original window openings. The house was restored to its present condition in 1978. <br>-From Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, Lockerbie Square Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1987 |
---|---|
Origin: | c. 1968 |
Created By: |
Indiana Landmarks |
Contributor(s): |
Funding provided by an Institute of Museum and Library Services grant, administered by the Indiana State Library |
Source: |
http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/IHAS/id/7019 |
Collection: |
Indiana Landmarks Historic Architecture Collection |
Rights: | https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ |
Copyright: |
Any copies made from materials in the Indiana Landmarks Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indiana Landmarks, 800-450-4534. |
Subjects: |
GABLE-FRONT DETERIORATION HISTORIC DISTRICTS HOUSES NEIGHBORHOODS |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.