1504 N. Park Ave., VonHake-Rau House, c. 1925

Description: On back of photo: Von Hake-Rau House, 1504 North Park Avenue (looking west along 15th Street). (Dr. Kenneth Rau Woolling Collection)
Yes
VonHake-Rau House1504 North Park Avenue1887One of the most original Queen Anne homes in the city, this house has many unusual details: terra cotta black brick, stone trim and a decorative finial. The original porch remains and shows the type of columns lost from many other Queen Anne houses in the neighborhood. Equally important is the carriage house which shares many of the details of the main house. Carl VonHake built the residence and lived here until 1902.VonHake was Canadian of birth and came to Indianapolis in [?]. In 1888 he helped organize Camplin & VonHake, a retail boot and shoe outlet. His partnership in the firm lasted only until 1890 when he established the Indianapolis Coffin Company with Franklin and Clemens Vonnegut.John Rau and his family occupied the house beginning in 1903. Rau (1856-1928) came to Indianapolis in 1889 and with three other partners established the Fairmont Glass Works. Rau acted as vice-president of the firm and operated it for 18 years. The plant expanded in 1904 when a large factory for the manufacture of glass bottles was built on the south side. Rau was known as an innovator in the glass industry and held many patents. After his death, the family maintained residence in the house until 1944.Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
single-family dwelling
Publisher: Dr. Kenneth Rau Woolling Collection
Source: http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/HT/id/918
Collection: Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Image Collection
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Copyright: In Copyright
Geography: Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4259418/, 39.76838, -86.15804
Subjects: Historic buildings--Indiana--Indianapolis
Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis
Built environment
Historic districts
VonHake, Carl
Rau, John, 1856-1928
Queen Anne Style
brick
two-story bay windows
porches

Further information on this record can be found at its source.