1224 N. Park Ave., DeWolf-Allerdice House, 1977

Description: On slide mount:1224 N. Park Ave., south and east (Park Ave., elevations
Yes
DeWolf-Allerdice House1224 North Park Avenue1871-73The large scale brackets and cornice windows are all that remain of the original Italianate details of this house. The front door, porch and insul-brick are all later attempts at modernization. The home was constructed by Caroline P. DeWolf.Joseph Allerdice (1846-1922) began residing in the house in 1891. In 1852, he came to the United States from Scotland, arriving in Indianapolis in 1874. With Edmund Mooney he established the Indianapolis Abbatoir Co., dealers in hides, wool, pelts, furs and tallow. He was elected president and general manager of the firm and held the positions until 1917 when he retired. By that time the business was one of the largest of its kind in the country.Ruth Allerdice, his daughter was a teacher, who headed the Department of Biology and Physiography at Shortridge High School until 1945. The Allerdice family lived at this address until 1923.Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
single-family dwelling
Origin: 1977-04
Source: http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/HT/id/479
Collection: Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Image Collection
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Copyright: In Copyright
Geography: Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4259418/, 39.76838, -86.15804
Subjects: Historic buildings--Indiana--Indianapolis
Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis
Built environment
Historic districts
DeWolf, Caroline P.
Allerdice, Joseph, 1846-1922
Allerdice, Ruth
Italianate
hip roofs
brackets
insulbrick
porches
brick
chimneys

Further information on this record can be found at its source.