Description: |
800 Block of N. Pennsylvania St., [815-817, 821-823, 825, 829, N. Pennsylvania, 103 E. 9th St.] Yes Commercial Building815-817 North Pennsylvania Streetcirca 1948Historic Description: Built as two separate buildings between 1947 and 1949, these two modest structures originally housed a number of insurance agencies.Architectural Description: Both shop fronts are five bays wide, but configured differently with the placement of the entrance. The concrete block structure is faced with limestone.St. Joseph Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1991The Burton / The Chalet821-823 North Pennsylvania Streetcirca 1919-1920Historic Description: The construction of the Burton, c. 1919, was the result of the rapid and pervasive changes occurring in the St. Joseph neighborhood housing market after World War I. It was a small scale development undertaken by the Burton Realty Company to provide affordable housing for the burgeoning urban work force in Indianapolis. Records indicate Edward H. Burton founded the real estate development firm around 1913. Though Mr. Burton was active in the business until 1941, the real estate firm continued to own this building until 1949. Long term abandonment has caused severe structural deterioration.Architectural Description: The Burton is a twenty-one unit, two-story Eastern flats apartment building constructed of red brick. The main (western) facade is three bays wide and thirteen bays deep. The facade is faced with yellow stucco and is designed in the Spanish Revival style. The single door entrance is covered by a semicircular molded metal hood that is supported by paired console brackets. Above the entry in the center of the building is a two-part window with a multi-light transom. The remaining windows are divided into three parts. On the first floor they are topped by segmental arch panels with applied decorative elements (now missing). Extending over the west facade is a regularly laid red barrel tile roof element. The north and south facades extend upward beyond the flat roof line of this elevation forming stepped gable parapet walls.St. Joseph Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1991Commercial Building825 North Pennsylvania Streetcirca 1955Historic Description: This small commercial building was constructed and first occupied circa 1956. The first occupant was the Victor Adding Machine Company.Architectural Description: Constructed of concrete blocks, the buildings is faced with irregularly sized cut ashlar blocks. The shopfront is slightly asymmetrical with an off center entrance flanked by two plate glass display windows.St. Joseph Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1991The Lodge829 North Pennsylvania Street1905Historic Description: The Lodge, a small Eastern Flats style apartment building, is significant for its architecture, as well as its impact on the commercial/real estate development of the St. Joseph neighborhood. At a time when Pennsylvania Street was wholly single family residences, the building of the Lodge began a revolution in apartment construction. In 1905, after the death of his father James Lodge, Caleb Newell Lodge hired Edgar G. Spink to demolish the Lodge family residence and begin construction of an apartment building. Construction cost $11,000. Spink was new to Indianapolis and the Lodge was his first project. He went on to form the E. G. Spink Company that constructed and managed sixty apartment buildings in the city. An Indianapolis native, Newell Lodge was a DePauw University graduate. He was the treasurer of the John S. Spann Company, one of the citys most prominent real estate development firms. He was a member of the University and Columbia clubs and active in the Second Presbyterian Church.Architectural Description: The Lodge is an outstanding example of the Georgian Revival style. The three-story, rectangular building is constructed of red brick and the front facade, facing Pennsylvania Street, is three bays wide. The central bay contains twelve light windows headed by semicircular fanlights with limestone spring blocks on the second and third floors. The entrance to the building features a limestone Doric order portico with the name Lodge incised in the frieze. The two outside bays are full height polygonal bays clad in copper and containing one over one sash windows.St. Joseph Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1991The Cathcart103 East 9th Street1909Historic Description: The Cathcart is an example of the Eastern Flat apartment style that became popular in Indianapolis at the turn of the century and that significantly altered the residential nature of the St. Joseph neighborhood. Owner Alice Morrison Cathcart was the widow of successful Indianapolis businessman Robert Weir Cathcart (Cathcart and Clelland Bookstore). She had her family home at the south east corner of Pennsylvania and Pratt (9th) Streets demolished in order to build the three-story, twelve flat building in 1909. She was undoubtedly influenced by the successful, nearby rental developments t the Lodge (1905) and the Sylvania (1906). Local residential contractor, Joel T. Elliott, constructed the building valued at $22,000. Alice Morrison Cathcart lived in the flats until her death in 1936. Her youngest daughter, Charlotte Pink Cathcart, maintained a residence there until 1964. Pink wrote an informative personal history of her experiences in the St. Joseph neighborhood from the 1890s to 1917, entitled Indianapolis From Our Old Corner.Architectural Description: The three-story Cathcart was constructed of dark red brick with limestone trim. Its design elements are of the Arts and Crafts style. The front facade faces north on 9th Street and is seven bays wide and two bays deep. The building rests on a raised basement that is delineated by a wide brick stringcourse above the windows. There is a plain, narrow limestone stringcourse at the third story and a wide limestone band carved in an egg and dart pattern just below the cornice. The roof parapet is capped with limestone coping and all windows have limestone sills. The central entrance bay features three multi-light windows with transoms and brick hoods accented with limestone. The entrance itself has double glass doors, side lights, and an arched transom light. Two brick piers with limestone blocks support knee braces beneath an eyebrow arched green tile pent roof.St. Joseph Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1991 multi-family dwellings; commercial |
---|---|
Origin: | 1986 |
Source: |
http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/HT/id/3587 |
Collection: |
Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Image Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4259418/, 39.76838, -86.15804 |
Subjects: |
Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis Built environment Historic districts |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.