230 E. 9th St., The Spink - The Jefferson-Renaissance Tower, 1986

Description: 230 E. 9th St., The Spink - The Jefferson-Renaissance Tower, 1986
Yes
The Spink - The Jefferson-Renaissance Tower230 East 9th Streetcirca 1922Historic Description: The six-story Spink is one of the earliest high-rise apartments erected in Indianapolis. It was built by the E. G. Spink Company, an organization that was ultimately responsible for the development of sixty apartment buildings in the city. The building was originally named The Spink, and later renamed the Jefferson. The firm was founded by Edgar G. Spink, who was a leader in the development of multi-family housing in the Indianapolis market. He pioneered the concept of combining apartment construction with building management, and he targeted constituencies that were in need of comfortable, affordable housing: young married couples, single women, and the elderly. Although a building permit appears to have been issued in 1921, construction of the Spink did not begin until 1922, and it was not occupied until 1923. The building was renamed Renaissance Tower when it was redeveloped in the mid 1980s.Architectural Description: The Spink is a six-story apartment building that exhibits the Tudor Gothic Revival style in its exterior detail. It is constructed of red brick and features an abundance of limestone detailing. Its 9th Street (south) facade is five bays wide, and the building is thirteen bays deep. The first floor of apartment units is raised eight feet above ground level and is separated from this entry level by a continuous limestone stringcourse. A second stringcourse iso coated between the fifth and sixth floors. The formal entrance is housed on the eastern elevation within a one-story foyer that has Tudor style label mold door surrounds in limestone. The most distinctive features of the Spink are the projecting bay window units found on the west, south, and east elevations. On the south elevation, the two bays begin at the third floor level and extend to the cornice line. They are heavily articulated with limestone quoins, window sills and lintels. The two bays that are located on both the west and east facades extend the full height of the building, but limestone detailing is used only for sills and as a drip molding at the top of the bay. Windows are multi-light (two, three or four) over one sash.St. Joseph Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1991
multi-family dwelling
Origin: 1986
Source: http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/HT/id/3582
Collection: Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Image Collection
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Copyright: In Copyright
Geography: Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4259418/, 39.76838, -86.15804
Subjects: Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis
Built environment
Historic districts

Further information on this record can be found at its source.