Calvin Fletcher School, 520 Virginia Ave., 1978

Description: Three construciton dates, 1857, 1916 and 1942
On slide mount: Calvin Fletcher School, 520 Virginia Ave., FP, IHPC
Yes
Calvin Fletcher SchoolSchool Power Plant520 Virginia Avenue1857, 1916, 1942The only school in the district, this building has seen drastic alterations over the years. At the construction of the original section, it was the first two-story school building in the city. It is a brick masonry structure with stone trim. Vestiges of the original center pavilion, with paired windows and a pyramidal roof, still exist. The tower and the dormers which flanked it are gone. A two-story addition was built to the south in 1916. Similar materials were used in construction. In 1942 the one-story gymnasium was added to the south. Finally, in 1978, the cornice was removed, resulting in the present day appearance of the building.The original school had only four rooms when it was built. In 1874, when all city schools were numbered, it became School #8. In 1884 it was converted into High School #2. It continued operation as a high school until 1895. Grades 7 and 8 were housed here from 1927 to 1955. Since that date it has been used as an elementary school. It was named after Calvin Fletcher, the man who instituted free schools in the city in 1905.Fletcher Place Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1980
school
Origin: 1978-09
Source: http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/HT/id/1613
Collection: Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Image Collection
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Copyright: In Copyright
Geography: Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4259418/, 39.76838, -86.15804
Subjects: Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis
Built environment
Historic districts
brick

Further information on this record can be found at its source.