Description: |
On slide mount: 606 Fletcher Ave., Fletcher Place, 4-78, East porch of hse. Yes Ittenbach House606 Fletcher Avenue1869, remodeled 1875-1880?In 1869 Gerhard and Francezka Ittenbach bought this property and moved into the house shortly thereafter. This house was probably built or remodeled later, possibly about 1875-1880. Ittenbach (1828-1898) was born in Prussia where he learned the stonecutting trade. In 1848 he emigrated to the United States and came to Indianapolis in 1851. He began working for James Muerson on the Deaf and Dumb Asylum, designed by Francis Costigan. In addition he worked on the Bates House, another Costigan design. In 1860 he bought out Muerson and with J.C. Schmid formed Schmid, Ittenbach and Company, located on South Delaware. In 1866 the company moved to 916 Harrison Street. In 1869 Schmid retired and the company became known as G. Ittenbach & Company. The company therefore became the largest stone cutting firm in the state. The firm was responsible for the stone work on numerous buildings: Fletcher Place Methodist Church, Roberts Park Church, and the following (all demolished): Fletchers Bank, Indianapolis Public Library, Commercial Club Building; Vance, Martindale, Cliffords, Eastman, Ingalls and Schleiele & Lee business blocks and also the buildings at DePauw University and St. Marys, Terre Haute.In 1853 Ittenbach was married to Frances Schumacher. They had six children: Mary, Josephine, Frank, Gerhard L., John, and Frances. After Ittenbach died in 1898 he willed the house to his daughter Frances Maria Bauer. She and her husband Joseph E. Bauer, who worked for Maus Brewing, lived in the house until 1902 when Mr. Bauer died. Shortly thereafter Mrs. Bauer re-married and sold the house, which then became a rental property. Among the renters were a broommaker, a plumber and a tireworker. By 1927 it had become a rooming house.Ittenbach lived at this address as early as 1869; however, this house, from outward appearances, does not date from that time. It is possible that an earlier house was enlarged/remodeled/rebuilt. From the present look of the house it would seem to date from 1875-1880. It would not be unreasonable to assume that as Ittenbach prospered he improved his house. This house bears examples of his work in the stone quoins, string courses and stone lintels and sills. Of equal importance are the fine Eastlake porches on the front and side of the house. There is also a notable iron fence along the rear of the property on Cincinnati Street.Fletcher Place Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1980 single-family dwelling |
---|---|
Origin: | 1978-04 |
Source: |
http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/HT/id/1455 |
Collection: |
Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Image Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4259418/, 39.76838, -86.15804 |
Subjects: |
Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis Built environment Historic districts Ittenbach, Gerhard (1828-1898) Ittenbach,Francezka Bauer, Frances Maria Italianate Eastlake brick stone lintels quoins brackets porches |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.