Description: |
On slide mount: 612-614 E. St. Clair Yes Fiscus House614 E. St. Clair Street1864This brick cottage was built by Thomas Fiscus in 1864. Fiscus lived here until 1885, during which time he was listed in city directories both as a brickmason and as a policeman. His son, Charles Fiscus, played an important role in the development of the arts in Indianapolis. As a student in John Washington Loves Art School, he was instrumental in the organization of tge Bohé Club. The club was devoted to art study for a number of years and was the chief factor in the Art Association Exhibit of 1885.The property was purchased in 1885 by members of the Wainwright family - Mary L., Georgia May, and John F. - who owned the property until 1902. The Wainwrights served as clerks in various stores in the city.In 1902 the property was purchased by William Moore for rental purposes.The one-and-a-hald-story brick cottage has a steep gable roof upon which the early wood shingles remain exposed. Contrasting with the first floors rectangular windows, which extend down to the stone water table line, is a round arched window in the gable end. The double doors that exist at the front entrance were inserted at a later date, probably in the 1890s. multi-family dwelling |
---|---|
Source: |
http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/HT/id/1286 |
Collection: |
Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Image Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4259418/, 39.76838, -86.15804 |
Subjects: |
Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis Built environment Historic districts Fiscus, Thomas Fiscus, Charles Wainwright, Mary L. Wainwright, Georgia May Wainwright, John F. vernacular architecture gable roofs brick arches porches |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.