In 1823 Jacob Salmon established one of the first breweries west of the Alleghenies. It was situated on, what was then, the eastern outskirts of Madison. We don't know the exact fate of that early brewery, but in 1856 the Greiner Family had established a brewery on the site. The 1859 city directory gives the address as the south side of the Lawrenceburg Road, above Baltimore. Also called the Madison Brewery, it was famous for its "Madison XXX Ale." The beer was featured by bars throughout the country and as far south as New Orleans. On February 2, 1918, the Madison Brewing Company executed a deed of assignment "to convey all property, real and personal, to the Madison Safe Deposit and Trust Company, as trustee, for the benefit of its creditors." George LaFontaine kept a grocery at that address for several years. It later was the Clover Farm Store and a Dairy Supply Store. Madison Machine Products located there for several years. In the mid-1970's the Mayflower Transfer and Storage Company took over the site. In this picture, please note the vintage cars, street light and gas pump.
Harry Lemen, photographer
River to Rail and Lemen Collection
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744
Industries -- Indiana
Further information on this record can be found at its source.