Description: |
The original part of the building was built sometime in the early to mid 1800s with a new front being added in 1868. It served as a private home, an inn, and a private seminary in the 1850s, according to Brooklyn Cull, who has researched the school in detail. It was purchased by the school-city on July 12, 1867 from Mr. and Mrs. Michael G. Bright for $800 and was used as a high school from 1868 to 1928. According to the Madison Courier, it was then purchased by John M. Sample and passed to his son, John L. Sample, who rented the building, at one time, to the U. S. Army as office space during the construction of the Jefferson Proving Ground. The 1942 Madison City Directory lists it as being the War Price and Rationing Board site. It was purchased by the American Legion Post #9 in 1945 from John Naill for $6,500 and was used by them until 1977 when, on February 28, 1977, it was destroyed by fire. The site is now a lovely private garden. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1927 |
Created By: |
Harry Lemen, photographer |
Source: |
http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4038coll5/id/44 |
Collection: |
River to Rail and Lemen Collection |
Copyright: |
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744 |
Geography: |
Indiana-Jefferson County-Madison |
Subjects: |
Schools |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.