Description: |
The formal opening of Dr. George E. Dennys new Hillside Hotel took place on June 10, 1924. The main entrance opened into a beautifully furnished lounge. The bedrooms were equipped in the most modern way and complete in every detail. The dining room had the capacity to care for 200 people. There was a solarium on the first floor. The building was described as near as fireproof as possible. The exterior of the building was of stucco with varied-colored bits of glass and wide piazzas with command of an excellent view. Edward Pierre of Indianapolis was the architect, the furniture was from Albert Pick and Company of Chicago along with George C. Vail and Sons of Madison, the plumbing was done by W. C. Niesse, the wiring by James Garber, brick work by Peter Stephanus and Sons, the painting was handled by James Peddie and the carpeting and blinds were from N. Horuff and Sons. Mr. Louis Sailor was the general superintendent of the work. Miss Edna Beckett was in general command of the hotel while Frank Denny, brother of Dr. Denny, was in charge of the office. In February, 1965, John and Lydia Lucht announced they would build a new hotel. Construction began that summer and the new hotel opened in the summer of 1966. Pictures taken 1926, 1927, 1928 |
---|---|
Origin: | 1927 |
Created By: |
Harry Lemen, photographer |
Source: |
http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4038coll5/id/37 |
Collection: |
River to Rail and Lemen Collection |
Copyright: |
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744 |
Geography: |
Indiana-Jefferson County-Madison |
Subjects: |
Hotels |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.