Description: |
Illustrated booklet published by the Printing Department of the Indiana Reformatory, including officials and officers, daily report from July 2, 1906, and descriptions of the School of Letters and the various trade school departments. In 1821 the Indiana legislature appropriated money for the construction of a state prison in Jeffersonville. Because of over-crowing and poor conditions, a new prison, completed in 1847, was built in Clarksville. A second state prison, completed in 1857, was built in Michigan City, and the Clarksville facility was renamed Indiana Prison South. Far reaching penal reforms were enacted in 1897, including establishing a school and several vocational departments. The name Indiana Prison South changed to Indiana Reformatory. On February 6, 1918, a fire swept through the complex destroying many of the prison buildings. Despite the destruction, the reformatory continued in operation, though it was never fully restored. The state began plans to move the inmates to the new Pendleton Reformatory or the Indiana Boys School, and placed the property for sale. By 1921 the Colgate Company had decided to purchase the buildings and property, taking ownership in 1923, and began to convert the prison to a factory. For nearly a year, almost half the reformatory inmates remained in the cell houses, separated from workers by a wooden fence. Finally, by 1924, the last had been removed. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1906 |
Publisher: |
Indiana Reformatory Printing Trade School |
Source: |
http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16066coll100/id/226 |
Collection: |
Clarksville Historical Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/; |
Copyright: |
Copyright Undetermined; |
Geography: |
Clarksville, Clark County, Indiana, United States |
Subjects: |
Indiana Reformatory (Clarksville, Ind.) Prisons--Indiana--Clarksville Prisons--Vocational education |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.