Description: |
Photograph of Barnett Academy in Charlestown, Indiana in 1895. On the back: From Hiseys Art Gallery. Charlestown, Ind. 1895. It was a coeducational, boarding and day school equivalent to a high school. The building was erected on Market Street in 1824 by the Masons. It housed an all girls school named Camburns Seminary and then later it was purchased by the Presbyterian Church which started a boys school there. Barnett Academy was founded by Zebulon B. Sturgis in 1857 when he became principal and merged the two schools. It was named after Allen Barnett, a member of the church. After the school was closed (probably in the 1880s), the building became the Reese boarding house. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1895 |
Source: |
http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15078coll17/id/9324 |
Collection: |
Clark County Collections |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
Charlestown-Clark County Public Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights such as publicity and/or privacy rights is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as works for hire copyright held by the party that commissioned the original work and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. |
Geography: |
Charlestown, Clark County, Indiana 38.441842, -85.660671 |
Subjects: |
Barnett Academy--Charlestown, Indiana Schools--primary Photographs |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.