ADEC was formed in 1952 by community parents of children with development and intellectual disabilities, with the goal to keep their children at home rather than in an institution and provide them with an education. A countywide capital campaign was launched to fund the construction of Aux Chandelles (French for "into the light"). Located on Hively Avenue, the dedication and open house of the school was held in 1966. This was a decade before public schools would be required to provide special education programs.
Elkhart Public Library
No Copyright - United States;
Elkhart County (Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.