Collection Order

◁◁ ▷▷

Photo

Description: Old Fire Headquarters showing horse-drawn steam engine, Chiefs buggy and water tower with personnel - From Firefighters Museum curator Brian Killilea: This building was opened in 1872 and in addition to housing the Chief and his staff, also was home to the water Tower, a Chemical Engine and Hose reel. Over the years the other companies were organized here prior to moving to other stations. This included Engine 5 and Hose Companies 11 and 12. Steamer or Engine 7 moved here in 1896 but it was still known as Fire Headquarters. This station was not originally assigned a number and was always known as headquarters. It was not until 1914 when headquarters moved to New York and Alabama that is became station 7. The building sat on the South West corner of Massachusetts and New York, west of Delaware. Even though it had a Massachusetts address it sat running east and west with the apparatus bays facing east. This was the second fire station to occupy this address. A station opened there in 1855 for the Marion Engine hose and protection company, which was a volunteer company. After the department became paid in 1859 it was home to Engine 2 from 1860 to 1872. In 1872 the 2s moved up Massachusetts Avenue to the building that is now the Local 416 Union Hall, and the old station was razed to allow the building of the new Fire Headquarters.
Water tower
Source: http://www.digitalindy.org/cdm/ref/collection/ffm/id/454
Collection: Indianapolis Firefighters Museum
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Copyright: In Copyright;
Geography: 39.771655,-86.154034
Massachusetts Avenue
Subjects: Fire engines
Horse-drawn vehicles
Fire fighters--Indiana--Indianapolis
Fire chiefs--Indiana--Indianapolis

Further information on this record can be found at its source.