Description: |
The first house in the redevelopment area is demolished on July 20, 1948 at 856 W. 11th Street. Left to right: Paul McCord (President of the Redevelopment Commission, Otto Jensen (Executive Secretary of the Redevelopment Commission), Mayor Al Feeney. The Indianapolis Redevelopment Commission’s stated goal was to address problems common to low-income areas, including crime, disease, and fire risk. They devised a targeted program they called “slum clearance”, in which the city purchased or condemned older homes and commercial buildings. The plan for redevelopment included new home construction, park land, and commercial buildings. Flanner House worked with the Commission, most notably running the self-help building program. Many homes were constructed with the new owners doing much of the work. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1948-07-20 |
Source: |
http://images.indianahistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/dc018/id/1918 |
Collection: |
Flanner House of Indianapolis |
Copyright: |
Use must be accompanied with the attribution: Indiana Historical Society. |
Geography: |
Indiana--Marion County--Indianapolis |
Subjects: |
Flanner House (Indianapolis, Ind.) Neighborhoods Neighborhood redevelopment Indianapolis Redevelopment Commission Feeney, Albert G., 1892-1950 Demolition Flanner House Homes |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.