Collection Order
<< < > >>

Vandalia Railroad Yard

Description: View of the Vandalia Railroad Yard, a major rail hub through which a number of lines ran at this time: the Indiana and Illinois; the Chicago and Eastern Illinois;, Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul; The New York Central or the Big Four; the Evansville and Indianapolis; and the Pennsylvania Railroad. It also served as the location for all repairs on cars and locomotives West of Pittsburgh until 1923, when the Pennsylvania Railroad abolished its Peoria division. The Railroad industry was an essential part of the development of Terre Haute in the early part of the twentieth century and was affected by its decline in the 1920s.
The original nitrate negative was copied with funds provided by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission in 1990. This digital image was created from that copy. The copy prints and negatives are stored in Microfiche Number order. Interpositives are stored in PAN number order.
Origin: Circa 1925
Created By: Martin's Photo Shop
Publisher: Digital image2012 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Source: http://images.indianahistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/dc013/id/549
Collection: Panoramic Photograph Images
Copyright: This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: visualcollections@indianahistory.org.
Geography: Indiana--Vigo County--Terre Haute
Subjects: Railroad facilities
Railroad freight cars
Railroad tracks
Railroads
Railroad freight cars
Transportation

Further information on this record can be found at its source.