Founded in 1906 as a steel town in Lake County, Indiana, Gary was named for Elbert H. Gary, principal founder of the United States Steel Corporation. Located on the south shore of Lake Michigan 30 miles east of Chicago, the Gary Land Company, a U.S. Steel subsidiary, laid out a city plan and began building houses and apartments. Advertised as the “City of the Century” Gary became an industrial suburb of Chicago. This aerial view of Gary in 1913 shows the steel mills, and a river and bridge in the foreground.
The original nitrate negative was copied with funds provided by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission in 1990. This digital image was created from that copy. The copy prints and negatives are stored in Microfiche Number order. Interpositives are stored in PAN number order. Bicentennial Train Image.
Crose Photo Company
Digital image2013 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Panoramic Photograph Images
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
United States Steel Corporation
Further information on this record can be found at its source.