Fort Benjamin Harrison was established as a military training center in June of 1904 in Lawrence Township of Marion County. During August of 1906, 3,000 Indiana National Guard troops from around the state arrived by trains and poured into the camp for training in mock battles and military maneuvers. Indiana Governor J. Frank Hanly and his staff spent time at the camp, meeting officers, eating lunch, and reviewing the troops. This view shows Hanly in the dark suit and National Guard and Army officers seated outside with the officer's tents in the background beneath a grove of trees.
The original nitrate negative was copied with funds provided by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission in 1990. This digital image was created from that copy. The copy prints and negatives are stored in Microfiche Number order. Interpositives are stored in PAN number order.
Digital image2012 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Panoramic Photograph Images
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fort Benjamin Harrison (Ind.)
Indiana. National Guard
Hanly, J. Frank (James Frank), 1863-1920
Further information on this record can be found at its source.