Panoramic view of crowds gathered on March 24, 1916 for the cornerstone laying of the Indianapolis Public Library's new Central Library at Meridian and St. Clair Streets. The event drew a large crowd to St. Clair Park and featured a chorus of 1,000 school children singing "The Messiah of the Nations," written for the occasion by James Whitcomb Riley who had donated some of the land upon which the library would stand. The cornerstone included a sealed box containing a list of books by Indiana authors, a map of Indianapolis, building plans and photographs, an American flag, an unpublished manuscript written by Riley and other Indiana and library-related items. The building was designed by Paul Cret and built in a Greek Doric style out of Indiana limestone. It was completed in October of the following year.
Digital image 2015 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Panoramic Photograph Images
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: email@example.com.
Indianapolis Marion County Public Library
Further information on this record can be found at its source.