The Hermitage is located on the east side of Brookville. In 1898 it was purchased by artists Theodore C. Steele and J. Ottis Adams. Steele's wife Mary Elizabeth (Libbie) named it. The house became famous through the success of the artists. It served as their summer residence and studio. Their artist friends William Forsyth and Otto Stark visited and painted there. The property is bordered on 2 sides by the east fork of the Whitewater River. In 1907 Steele sold his interest in the home to Adams and his family. Adams' wife Winifred was also an artist. She took over the south side of the house that had been used by Steele. In 1913 the house was destroyed by a flood. Adams re-built the home and continued to live and work there.
Digital Image 2010 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Ben Winans' Photography
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: mailto:email@example.com
Further information on this record can be found at its source.