Collection Order
<< < > >>

Old Fort, New Harmony, Indiana

Description: View of the granary, sometimes called the Old Fort in New Harmony, Indiana. The stone building is two stories tall with bars on the windows. Each window has a wooden shutter that would cover the window if needed. The narrow slit windows were used to allow air to circulate around the stored grain. Thick ivy covers a portion of the building. The building was a grain storage building for the Rappites, but became a geology lab after Robert Owen purchased the town. Originally, there were 5 stories to the structure. The building fell into disrepair and was saved. It now has only two stories, but is once again sturdy and serving the town of New Harmony as a gathering place.
Postcard addressed to: Mr. S. K. Walker of Shelbyville, Indiana.
Origin: 1910-08-12
Publisher: Digital image 2003 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Source: http://images.indianahistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/P0391/id/348
Collection: Postcards of Indiana the Jay Small Collection
Copyright: This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: visualcollections@indianahistory.org.
Geography: Indiana
Posey
New Harmony
Subjects: Forts & fortifications
Windows
Shutters
Agriculture
Grain elevators

Further information on this record can be found at its source.