Description: |
This is the Avon train bridge, commonly referred to as the Haunted Bridge. The bridge was finished in 1906 to accommodate the needs of the Big Four Railroad. In 1908, the bridge was double-tracked. The bridge features prominently in the seal of the town of Avon (2012), set above a creek and behind a tree limb with an oriole sitting upon it. There are many folk tales of hauntings of the bridge ranging from deceased train workers being buried in the cement to a woman running away with her infant only to trip on the tracks, drop the infant, and be run over by a train. One arch of the bridge goes over the White Lick Creek and the other arch goes over County Road 625 Easts location in 2012. |
---|---|
Origin: |
1910 |
Source: |
http://avtp.ent.sirsi.net/client/default/search/results?qu=Avon+"Haunted"+Train+Bridge&te=ASSET |
Collection: |
Avon-Washington Township Public Library |
Subjects: |
Railroads and Interurbans |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.